Pages

Monday 25 November 2013

Making Space - The Project Twins

So on Thursday, The Project Twins opened their show in The Library Project in Temple Bar. Making Space are a group trying to make use of space that's currently unused and going to waste around Dublin. Arty use. There's a few groups starting to do this, and it's wonderful, really wonderful (Support them, guys, from there it's art studios like they used to do in Drogheda, and from there, the World!). The Project Twins evening was also supported by Tiger Beer. Yes. Free beer. I don't even drink beer, but it was free. I drank the stuff.


So, I don't know if you know The Project Twins. If you don't I'd go check them out now. I'll wait about in the quiet tab over to the left. You'll be gone a while.
Quick and sleek, beautiful and simple, their work is pretty damn divine.
I'm sending you, in particular to the A-Z of Unusual Words. It was my introduction to them and it sprang forth new love. Come join me.

Ultracrepidarian
A person who gives opinions and advice on matters outside of one’s knowledge.

It was a different exhibition, that's for sure. And I can't say it struck me out first thing, that'd be a lie. Here's the crux though. I feel safe with these guys. There are times I look at art, and I don't get anything. I don't know where the person is coming from and often times, I don't trust the person to have thought deeply enough to have a reason for everything that's in the image (I know that's probably petty and deeply conceited, but it's partly embittered experience too, honest). These are The Project Twins though. I stuck around.

I also had a bottle of beer in my hand so I couldn't leave.

It was a good ploy, you can't bring drink outside, to finish, you had to look about and use your brain. Good plan. At least, that's how it went along for me.
I really liked some pieces, others' meanings eluded me/still do. I enjoyed many of them.
The best thing is I was thinking about it the next morning. Rephrasing things. "Creating space" instead of "making space" suddenly had me gasping on the way to the bus stop. I'm glad the road was deserted (the one time I'm glad for a half seven bus). Gasps of quiet accomplishment.


Did I mention there were free postcards?
Four of them. Chuffed.
It was interesting to see the work up close. While it's not been my favourite exhibition, or my favourite work from the twins themselves, I'm still glad I went. All in all it was pretty good. I encourage everyone to keep an eye on The Project Twins if you aren't already.

Cacodemonomania
The pathological belief that one is inhabited by an evil spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment