Pages

Friday 20 December 2013

RHA

So we had a wander to the Royal Hibernian Academy yesterday.
Wander being the small group of us who showed. Christmas causes so many disappearances in terms of attendance it really must be a magical time of year, no?

We're illustrators.... So the fine arts... aren't usually our calling - But I tried to keep an open mind.
"Okay" I thought to myself "So here we are, I'm going to a fine gallery to see art I'm not used to.." And to be honest, the prospect was quite exciting?

Unfortunately, in the end, I - and indeed, most of us, understood very little of what the art meant. It's hard to concentrate in a class group of people, constantly moving, but even then, I'm not sure if I'd have experienced more epiphanies  if I'd been alone... - A tour, perhaps, would have gone down well, but it wasn't something we had booked for.

It's unfortunate, that I feel fine art has lived up to the less complimentary comments about it after this experience, but I tried..

Above: Attempting Fine Art Appreication

The only thing that I took interest in was really Neil Carroll's work; paintings with odd but lovely geometrical shapes, nice colour and wonderful grounds -including acetate. That I took some inspiration from, having an interest in installations and playing with light, personally.


Now here's the good news; we also got a tour upstairs; to see the places where workshops took place, where their life drawing sessions are held and to learn about the studios - Every six months, a new artist takes up a residency in the RHA, working from one of the studios. Not only do you get lovely room for working and a central location, you also manage to mix more with other people - and other artists. It sounds fantastic. With these studios, and the Open competition each year, work depends on quality, rather than style, we were assured, interesting, and perhaps, something to shoot for.

We also learnt that in the new year, probably towards summer, there may be free life drawing lessons, to encourage students and younger artists into the RHA, I'm really hoping this happens - I'd love to have the opportunity to keep up with life drawing during the summer (And possibly onwards from there too - The future is an uncertainty right now!).

We also got to see some of PJ Lynch's work, drying, which of course, was awesome.


I'm toying with going back.
I do want to know what it means. It must mean something...


No comments:

Post a Comment